Search This Blog

Thursday, August 4, 2016

The Trinity

     I picked up Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice the week it was released. I rewatched Man of Steel, then dove into the launch of DC's combined Cinema universe.

     Two things- I saw it in the theater, and liked it. As is, no extended edition. Second, and more importantly, I come not to bury Caesar, but to praise him. I liked this on the big screen, liked it better on DVD.

     It has flaws. DC/Warner seems to know what to do with it's television shows far more than the movies. They are however, slowly catching up with Marvel/Disney in making the movies epic, and meaningful, not Campy.

     I have a lot of nostalgia for the old stuff, and I ended up watching the earlier movies as well. When I say nostalgia, however, don't mistake it for "the old stuff was better!!!" or the ever popular "They ruined my childhood!!!!!"

I simply mean:
nos·tal·gia
näˈstaljə,nəˈstaljə/
noun
  1. a sentimental longing or wistful affection for the past, typically for a period or place with happy personal associations.
     So I am going to touch upon the best and the worst of all of the cinematic efforts that I have seen on Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman, DC's flagship trinity of heroes. This is in no way intended to be a comprehensive treatise on the film and TV media of these characters, only a collection of thoughts on the ones I know well.  It's also only right to point out that Sam (my roommate/ex-wife/current Cato to Tango's Clouseau) made a really good point- without these movies, as bad or as painful as they are, we wouldn't have the good ones. Someone had to see the campy stuff and say..."well I would do..."

     For every Successful explorer, there is a floating pith helmet marking where the guy before him stepped in quicksand...

     So without further digression


     Batman the movie- Best way to describe it...there is a bat-device for everything. A campy movie to amp up a campy TV series.

     Wonder Woman- Another campy take on a hero(ine), Lynda Carter still looks fantastic in her satin tights, fighting for our rights and the old red white and blue.

     Superman -When I was a Kid this was AMAZING but now you can see it is very dated. Christopher Reeve makes a great square-jawed and righteous Superman, and he carries off lines that should come across ironic or snide without a single smirk.

     Superman II -This one is painful to watch. I have never seen the Donner Cut, probably should. But the Kryptonian Amnesia kiss is a low point in convenient plot devices. As is tearing off your chest emblem and turning it into flypaper.

     Batman- This was a good film and the first real attempt to make a serious superhero movie- It was Marred by it's sequels like the bad side of Harvey's coin

     Batman Returns- this one is a little surreal and oddball for my tastes. Of particular weirdness is the Penguin's funeral.

     Batman Forever-It's not forever, but it feels like it at points...OK, that was a cheap shot, and it turns out I am not better than that. It's campy, a lot of the colors look like they would be better suited to a rave, and Bat-suit nipples and butt-shot, but those are not the things that make it the weakest of the four to me. what hurts it the most, is that Val Kilmer as Batman looks like he hated what he was doing, and has no feeling for it at all.

     Batman and Robin- More Bat-nipples and butt-shots, (but no Batt-nipples on Batgirl- only a Bat-Bustier) but I like Clooney as an aging Batman, and I like Arnie's Mr Freeze- I will defend that if needed.

     Superman Returns- In my eyes, this one doesn't hang together- It has some stunning scenes, but they don't seem to know what to do with most of the characters. Routh looks good as Superman, but he comes off as reactive rather than active.

     I am noticing this article is getting long enough to warrant a sequel. so I am going to write a next part- Trilogy anyone?

     

No comments:

Post a Comment